And then I realized the recruiter has probably friended a LOT of people! If you’re thinking of using social media to find and secure great talent, you’re not alone! If done well, it can create a solid return on investment.
You might want to consider the following when starting your campaign:
- Who is your audience? Where are they congregating on social? Talk with your current employees. Find out what social sites they use. You might find a niche site you have not considered. Everyone has heard of LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Have you considered Instagram or Snapchat? These sites may be more in line with your candidate’s interests.
- Share the right mix of posts. Sure, you want to spotlight the open positions, but also spotlight your employees, your community efforts, the things that make working for you special. Share photos of your employees doing great things! (Just be sure and get their permission first.) Find ways to help the job seeker. It’s like dating, you need to get to know each other. In fact, seventy-five percent of job seekers go search out an employer brand before applying.
- Using Instagram? Use hashtags! Hashtags are an important way to expand your Instagram audience. When you use a hashtag, your post will appear on the page for that hashtag. Do some research and you can easily spot and capitalize on hashtag trends that can benefit your business!
- Keep an eye on your competitors. By checking on their social channels, you may identify someone who could benefit from your opportunities. You may also identify posts and trends that are working for them.
- Respond! Nothing is worse than reaching out to a company and….crickets! You’ll want to be sure someone is available and engaging with people when they have questions.
If you’re thinking of starting a social recruitment campaign and have questions, I’d love to talk with you. I’m passionate about helping people find great talent. As always, there is no charge to talk.